With heads & hearts full of recipes, ideas and stories, Morgan & I bought a website and began shooting food last summer. We set a launch date of September 1st, 2015 and haven’t stopped creating & posting since. What we’ve been building since last September is nothing short of my proudest and most favorite project. (Photo from our FIRST post, up top!)
There aren’t many (read: any) projects in life I’ve been disciplined enough to work on consistently for a year. Many ideas and commitments start strong and begin fading when life gets hectic and priorities shift around. Morgan & I have each experienced a crazy first year of post-grad life. Both in different ways, but many things parallel and keep us running through this life together and sharing a blog we love. When everything is constantly changing and unknown, posting on Cora & Louise has been one thing we have complete control over and can count on each week. For a girl who loves consistency, accountability and diligence, this has meant the world to me.
One thing I know to be true is that food brings people together in the most basic way and has the power to nourish, connect and serve in a real way. Being able to do this for our people every week & enable you to do the same with good food is one of my greatest joys. I hope if you’ve been reading through our words and looking at our photos over the past year, you’ve been inspired to try new recipes in your kitchen and bring new people around your table too. Or, if C&L has brought you one ounce of inspiration, joy or nostalgia, I consider our time and efforts well spent.
A year of blogging has taught me so much — discipline, creativity, storytelling, collaboration, and a handful of new kitchen skills along the way. Thankfully, we still have a lot left to learn & aren’t running out of recipes or ideas any time soon. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for C&L in the coming year and are grateful for everyone who has helped us along the way so far!
xo — KT
KT's Top Five:
- One Pan Pasta — The recipe that keeps me alive and feed every week of my life.
- Carrot Cake — People who claim not to like carrot cake change their mind after one bite.
- Apple Pie — A classic staple & also some of my favorite food photos I've taken this year!
- Beef Bourguignon — Sounds fancy & French, but it's secretly just an amazing one pot meal!
- Lemon Rosemary Scones — Breakfast, snack, dessert or all the time: scones are my favorite treat.
I remember trading food blogging dreams over a year ago with Katie through text while I sat at my desk in DC. Daydreaming the way children do about recess in grade school. Looking back, those big ideas feel decades old. I always knew we had it in us, but I never could have imagined we would create something as beautiful as this.
Bringing SEVENTY recipes and stories to the blog this year was no small endeavor and if I had to choose just one thing to feel it would absolutely be pride. The only thing that holds a candle to accomplishment is gratitude, which my heart is full to the brim with.
To the people who made our recipes, read our stories, shared our photos, or let us into their kitchens and their lives — I love you so much and thank you.
It was hard. Delivering something new even when we were the only ones expecting it didn’t always happen easily. Some nights we finished editing and writing at 2 a.m. We squeezed shooting in between real life responsibilities and full time jobs. We woke up early and stayed up late. But I am proud, that for a full year, we’ve pulled through. Proud that we have learned new things about ourselves, our writing, our photography, and of course, our food.
Beyonce probably has a lot more to be proud of than Katie or I, but is there a better way to wrap up a celebration than words from the queen herself?
“I dream it, I work hard, I grind 'til I own it”
Cheers to another year!
Morgan's Top Five:
- April's Honey Wheat Loaf — Hands down my favorite story of the year and some dang good bread!
- Apple Bourbon Bread Pudding — There is never a sadness that bread pudding won't cure.
- Chocolate Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Icing — The one recipe Katie and I made together all year. Still so special to me to learn and experiment together on this cake.
- Sourdough Bagels — Learning about sourdough changed my world & turned me into a confident bread baker.
- Baked Mac & Cheese — Everyone loves a good mac & cheese recipe, this one helped me get through a very tough time.